Tabisa and myself spent most of the weekend on the boat. My crew member Melle also slept on the boat on Friday and Saturday nights. On Saturday Tabisa and me went shopping for various items to make her more livable – plates, bowls, cups, some tools, a battery charger and multimeter, etc.On Saturday we were supposed to take Contradiction (my other boat, a Lavranos 6m trailer sailer) out of the water, using a crane at Hout Bay harbour. The crane was needed because swanging on the wirerope which lifts the centreboard/keel up had been eaten away by electrolosis caused by her neighbouring boat which has a copper bottom. All was arranged but Hout Bay harbour let us down. Alwyn, who is in charge of the crane and the slipway at the harbour and is very helpful, phoned at 0730 on Saturday morning to say that crane required some repairs to the pulley at the top of the jib and he would prefer to delay the lift. It is now 3 weeks that I have been trying to take her out of the water, but it seems that the gods are not happy with this! So shopping it was.
Sunday was a nice calm day, in between the storms we have been having in Cape Town. Male and myself filled the water tanks whilst we waited for Chris and his girlfriend Shamilah to join us. We left the marina at 1350. We had reversed out about 10 meters from the marina when the engine spluttered and died. Luckily there was no wind blowing and we were able to use our momentum and drift backwards about 50 meters and grab hold of a fishing boat which was moored there. We tied up alongside.

First lesson learnt: Always make sure the anchor is ready to let go. If there had been any wind blowing we could easily have drifted quickly onto the shore in a corner of the harbour where they are currently building. This will become part of my checklist in future.

Second lesson: After assistance from Gavin and Steve – I had a crash lesson in bleeding the fuel lines of the engine. After Steve did his magic the engine started and we were off.

We motored to Die Josie, with the mainsail up. No wind. We took a guided tour back of Chapmans Peak, admiring the water pouring down the mountain after all the rain and into the sea.

On our return across the beach to the harbour mouth, the wind came up to maybe 15 knots from the South West. At last a real sail. I put the engine off for about 5 minutes and we reached along at about 5 knots with only the mainsail up. At last she felt like a yacht and we enjoyed silent gallop into the harbour. Unfortunately it looked like rain was coming so we scurried back to our mooring, for drinks. All seemed to enjoy the day and a learnt a few key lessons.